Need Help?

Are you an organization in need of incorporation assistance? help with grant writing? fund-raising or business plans? Or maybe you just need a mentor who has been through the process

Secret-Angels is a nonprofit management company that assists emerging nonprofits with fund-raising, grant-writing and overall business development. If you would like more information about this organization or any of the other grass-roots projects that it supports, please feel free to contact the director, Tara Deck at (512) 281-0202 or by email: Tara @ Secret-Angels . org


18 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Free and Low-Cost Business Resources « Nonprofit Assistance  |  November 20, 2008 at 3:43 pm

    […] Need Help? […]

  • 2. Darrell A. Cador  |  March 1, 2009 at 7:06 am

    I’d like to know who can I contact for nonprofit startup assistance? Some of the places I’ve checked with have fees ranging from $600 to $3,000 for complete startup services. Although justified their fees are a bit out of my range. Whatever you can share would be great.

    • 3. basicallygood  |  July 12, 2009 at 11:58 pm

      Feel free to email me directly and I would be happy to help you work through the process!

      Best of Luck!

  • 4. Pam Tomlinson  |  March 7, 2009 at 12:44 pm

    If you are a non profit and you decide you want to do something else in the organization besides what your non profit was set out to do, what is the procedure for filing the proper paperwork with the IRS to change from one venue to another?

    • 5. basicallygood  |  July 12, 2009 at 11:56 pm

      First you need to update your mission statement and bylaws to reflect the organizations new purpose and file the amended version with your secretary of state.

      Then you will need to file Form 990 and check YES where it asks “Were any changes made in the organizing or governing documents but not reported to the IRS?” attach copies of the updated information you filed with the state.

      This is usually all that is required but in some instances the IRS may require you to resubmit your organizations 1023.

      Depending on what state your nonprofit is organized in there may be other requirements. More detailed information about filing requirements in each state can be found at

  • 6. Rodney J House  |  April 9, 2009 at 9:49 am

    Hi, I am in desperate need of help in grant writting and business plan write ups. I started a nonprofit group called Upgrade America Inc. A 501c3 and at first I had a partner who was going to handle that end of tit but we have parted ways, so I need help. so can you help. Please Rodney J House

    • 7. basicallygood  |  July 12, 2009 at 11:57 pm

      Feel free to email me more detailed information and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

  • 8. Jim Hall  |  July 12, 2009 at 7:58 pm

    Help ! (Never had anyone say that before, huh?!?) My 13 yr old Daughter is organizing a benefit concert for the Invisible Childrens Foundation (a group working internationally to prevent the illegal conscription of African children into Civil Wars) and we obviously need to have donations ( from concert attendees) BUT, we need corporate sponsorship to pay operating expenses (Venue, Bands, Insurance, etc.) AND filing for Non-profit status takes so long, BUT, filing for LLC in our state (IL), will run me $500 outta my pocket !
    Once again, HELP… What can I do. The concert is in 6weeks and I really want to help her learn that we can do BIG things to help others, but I’m not a Rich man (nor, maybe, a Smart man…)
    Jim Hall 815-243-6824

    • 9. basicallygood  |  July 12, 2009 at 11:19 pm

      That’s a pretty short time span – but if your daughter is really passionate about the cause you may be suprised how many local sponsors will contribute if she rounds up some friends and just asks – even if she doesn’t have 501(c)3 status. Another good place to check out is offers different grants and programs for youth that are interested in making a difference in their world. There may not be enough time to help with this project – but I have a feeling this won’t be her last mission!

      Best of Luck!

  • 10. Sally  |  September 28, 2009 at 2:12 pm

    Hello. I work for a non-profit 501(c)6 which has a Foundation attached to it- a 501(c)3. The legal name of the 501(c)3 is not fitting for the new vision we are creating. Is it possible to have a DBA as a 501(c)3? If so, how do we start the process? thanks!

  • 11. Michael  |  February 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm

    Does anyone know if you can start a non profit with a DBA then turn it into a non profit corp.? If anyone donates to the DBA before it is a non profit can than use their donation as a tax deduction when the DBA becomes a 501c3?

  • 12. melissa  |  November 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm

    Hi Tara- what a great informative site you have!

    here is my situation. I have been working with various groups and on
    my own trying to help in Haiti.
    I am hoping to put up an online storefront for the holidays to sell
    things (or give gifts with donations), to raise money for a few
    different groups.
    One is a registered 501c3 non profit here, one a non incorporated non
    profit, and the other a registered non profit in Haiti. Originally I
    just thought I’d set up the storefront (i got the url and site and a
    paypal account) and just sell the stuff and send out the money to the
    appropriate recipients.
    But I am not sure about sales tax and if i need to set up a dba. i definitely do not want to set up a corporation.

    any advice?

  • 13. Terrie  |  December 20, 2010 at 12:11 am

    The non-profit church registered in California wants to rename its charitable arm. I have done some research and DBA does not apply in California for non-profits. So can we just operate under the new name?

  • 14. Karen Ludwig  |  January 6, 2011 at 11:39 pm

    We are a 501 (c) 3 organization and have been for about 5 yrs now. We want to keep our original name but do a DBA with another name. We want our donors to know we are the same organization…but with a different, more precise name now. Can we do this as a non-profit and not lose non-profit status? Or do we need to legally change our name to the new name? Also..if it is possible to have both names…do we list the DBA as a “subsidiary” of the first??

  • 15. yacoob kana  |  May 9, 2011 at 7:30 pm

    dear sir

    hii. hello is there anyone who can help me some non profit
    funds to start a business to run. i only need help of
    50.000 Usd cheque. i live in africa in kenya.
    hopeing to hear from you Thanks

  • 16. anndela  |  June 17, 2011 at 6:45 am

    Hello my name is Anndela the owner of a small business. I need to know if it is illegal to sell stuff and say your donating to non profit organizations? i can only find thses people on facebook but no where else. i thought you had to have a dba to sell things and tell people your donating. i need help these people dont need to go any further i have a bad feeling about these guys. please help.
    Thank you

  • 17. Lucinda Jones  |  March 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm

    I founded and started my own nonprofit called, Ashland Supportive Housing of VA. ASH help families who are living in motels find permanent housing. In order to qualify for our services the families have to already be working. Since last year, we have placed ten families into permanent supportive housing. None of the money was federal government money we actually went out and got sponsors that totaled about $19,000. In the County that I live and work in there are no shelters or any agency but the one I created that specializes in affordable housing. I am so tired with trying to apply for grants to get administrative cost. I can’t continue to do this with no money coming in to help support myself and my son. I have a carpayment, insurance, food and the list goes on. I find myself angry all of the time because I have done so much for people and I can’t seem to help myself. $6,000 of my own money has went into this nonprofit agency and I could not get any of that money back when I filed my taxes!!!!!! The small office that I work out of rent is $100.00 monthly that does not include the electricity, and water. I have free summer interns that are enrolled in the Bachelor of Social Work Program. So, if I had to pay anyone it would just be me. I have applied for two small community grants and I am just waiting for a response. But what can I do right now? I need a paycheck!!!

  • 18. Sharon Burnett  |  July 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

    I am operating a rescue service for horses, donkey’s and mules. I would like to be able to give people who donate to this a form that would allow them to deduct it on their tax return. I have a separate bank account for this and I plan on getting a federal ID number for the barn. Is there a way to do this that is acceptable with the IRS? I do not want to incorporate, it is to small for that and I do the work myself.
    Please advise. Sharon Burnett


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

%d bloggers like this: